We shortly arrived at the Guildhall (the newer one) - formerly the Church of the Holy Cross, the church and its churchyard was given to the city in 1972...of course, we stopped to enjoy the lovely shaded 18th-19th century churchyard!
|Right: Here lieth the Body
of William May
the Son of Robt May who departed this
life June ye 23d. 1721 Aged 21 Years.
1 Pound Lane was built in 1829 as an extension to provide a home for the gaoler and his family. It subsequently became the Canterbury city police station in 1870 after the city gaol had moved. In 1907 the building was further extended to provide a parade room and additional police cells. When the police moved out the building (1965) it became home to Kent Music School, the former cells were used as practice and storage rooms and the upstairs Parade Room was used as a concert hall. The Cafe opened in 2011 with the restaurant and bar opening in 2014.
It was pretty cool and the food was good!
|entrance into what used to the the Felon's Day Room..|
Next up - we go home...